Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Keupayaan Orang Kelainan Upaya


I am always fascinated by these people, despite their kelainan upaya, have a will to live like others, and to prove that nothing can hinder anybody from achieving one's dream. Since my university days, I used to bump into many blind students at UM. They were students like me, the difference was only that they did not have vision, but like me and the rest of other students, they too have mission for their life. Blind students were given facilities at the library, they can ask for a carrel room and can occupy there for the whole term, unlike us who had to book per hour to use that room. Throughout the years, the library regulars who would like to do voluntary work in aiding the blind and other physically incapable students can do so at their own time and pace. I, for one, once a week, helped two blind guys (most of them were guys at that time, not many female blind student - donno why). One was Zakaria and another one, I could not recall the name....
Zakaria studied History and a classmate of Ras Adiba Radzi at St. Johns before. "Ras suka bermekap", he said. In his carrel, he befriended with ramai pakcik2 library, i.e library staff who always mengusik him when I came. They would say, "mata air kau dah datang", makwe ko ni aku punye", "Ko hitam, dia putih, mana aci" and so on. They all made me laugh, cause I always took it light and let loose, thinking that he is OKU... hah. For Zakaria, I helped him find books that he wanted through online catalog and also card catalogue. Then I would read him pages by pages from morning till afternoon. He used to ask me to walk him to have lunch at Baktisiswa with another blind guy, Rahman (now a lecturer with IIUM), and I would watch them eat. Imagine how hard for me to swallow nasi campur, when looking at them eating infront of me. Of course I ate, but with tears running down my cheek. Rasa kasihan pula ketika tu tengok berseleraknya nasi dan lauk dalam pinggan dia... Although we were close during those days, but nothing happened between us. But my fellow helper, Kak Pah finally married the blind guy she helped. I met them both at UM few years ago and they have a daughter. I cannot imagine...just think how lucky I am with my significant other who can put his eyes on me!
Zakaria, I think he is with the Blind Association now. Because I saw him in the news recently, receiving aids from a corporate for a concert or a dinner they are organising.

The reason why I am writing about my experience with OKU is because yesterday our Master student Al Azifah Shafie received her degree, Sarjana Syariah from UM after all these years.... Bravo Al Azifah. Even though you lost your vision, your mission is still clear. Anda gemilang kerana berjaya menyahut cabaran akademik dan bersungguh mengatasi sahabat yang lain, yang sama-sama berjuang mendapatkan segulung ijazah. Her picture was everywhere in the news. I think Utusan Malaysia, Malay Mail etc. I felt happy for her, I know it was not easy for her to complete her studies. Her friends, loyal friends and sister who tumpangkan dia naik motor datang kampus dari rumah sewa di Pantai Dalam, who typed her dissertation for her, who accompanied her to various libraries and places for data collection. Oh My God! Can we just imagine, in her dark world, she is strongwill to succeed and live like others. I remember once, when I was on TV3, she told me that she listened carefully to what i said because she recognised my voice! She dropped by at my office the next day just to tell me that...

Al Azifah, anda dah buktikan bahawa anda berhak menikmati hidup seperti orang lain. Anda tidak berbeza dari kami yang sempurna. Di mana ada kehendak, di situ ada jalan. Selamat Maju Jaya buatmu. Al Azifah, is now working as a teacher in Sabak Bernam.

p/s: Masih ramai yang satu batch dengan Al Azifah yang masih meraba-raba (tapi celik)...

No comments: